Guadagnino started with a psychologically detailed questionnaire: What colors do they like? Marchetti, who was born and raised on the Adriatic coast, in Ravenna, is attracted to water and loves to swim. Known for his visually arresting style, he has collaborated several times … “I’m a little bit irrational,” he admits. Image: Call me By Your Name/Sony Pictures. The 46-year-old Italian director has a history of lavishing homes in his films with the same love he gives his human characters. They are elegant and effortless and chic and inviting. Luca Guadagnino is an Italian film director, screenwriter, and producer. “First of all, I had to make sure the villa felt alive, that it felt beloved,” Guadagnino says. Luca Guadagnino. It could be argued that Guadagnino’s choice of Villa Necchi as the imposing temple of beauty in his 2009 masterpiece I Am Love was as important as his casting of Tilda Swinton. In We Are Who We Are, a series from director Luca Guadagnino premiering tonight on HBO, a restless American teenager named Fraser (the very compelling … They wanted the living room to be the heart of the home, and like the entry hall, it was very cold and bare. Despite being in preproduction for his next project — a reimagining of the director Dario Argento’s 1970s Italian cult horror classic “Suspiria,” to be released in November — Guadagnino immediately agreed. Luca Guadagnino’s Favorite American Popcorn Films. She then lined the hall with chairs she found around the villa. So for me, space is everything.”. Luca Guadagnino is on Facebook. He told Architectural Digest, "I knew where I was going to set the action of the film — this place with faded, aristocratic charm, that a professor and his wife might have inherited but can’t quite keep up.”. In a nautical-inspired powder room leading to the indoor pool, the emerald stone and brass hardware are by Studio Luca Guadagnino. The film is set in the early 80s, so Visconti di Modrone had to source the right televisions, radios, telephones and other items from that era. (As a gauge of how frightening it is, my hands went over my eyes several times.) For Marchetti, the pair of bronze mice he specified to scurry up the table’s struts are as much a source of pleasure as the Giorgio Morandi still life from the 1950s that he impulsively purchased from an online auction and that now hangs in the ground-floor powder room. Guadagnino says he wanted the overall appearance to be cosy and show “furniture with heritage and a family without money.”. Before Guadagnino began, the couple had already gutted the building, which was constructed more than a century ago during a boom in an industry first begun at Como in the 1400s, when Ludovico Sforza (then the Duke of Milan) commanded that the lakeside be planted with mulberry trees for the delectation of silkworms. Only a small nameplate — that says simply “housekeeper”— hints at the place’s current residential use. And 2015’s A Bigger Splash relies on the den of … Because we are not the product of, say, a piece of dialogue. A few years prior he had “been flirting with the idea of becoming a gentleman of the countryside,” he told The New York Times. Redemption is his first fashion boutique endeavor. A 2016 profile of the filmmaker in T Magazine opens with Guadagnino saying, “I hate the concept of beauty for the sake of it. In the decades after the shuttlecocks stopped clacking through looms at La Filanda, the mill was used as a tennis racket factory, then as an auto repair shop and, finally, as a depot for boat motors before sinking at last into pigeon-haunted desuetude. In 2002, he directed Mundo Civilizado, presented at the Locarno Film Festival in 2003. He decided to set his version there, with the permission of the house’s owners. What is most notable in each is how Guadagnino has arranged — as though a group of actors were conversing in a scene — decorative elements as disparate as a rugged 1960s George Nakashima slab table, a 1950s sycamore and rosewood Italian bar cabinet, caned chairs copied in Mumbai from early 20th-century designs by the French architect Maxime Old and a colossal 2009 photograph by the German artist Candida Höfer of the national library in Naples. On the occasion of the film release of A Bigger Splash starring Tilda Swinton, Crash proposes you a recent Luca Guadagnino interview on cinema and inspiration. “I’m a storyteller,” Guadagnino says. The room was decorated to reflect the early 80s with posters on the wall of cars, sport events and musicians that were popular during that time. It’s like a demented slumber party at Luca Guadagnino’s house. Fremantle has … & L. Lobmeyr glassworks in Vienna, he commissioned gossamer glassware etched with outlines of Lake Como. Mar 30, 2017 - Explore Alexandra Finlay's board "Luca Guadagnino's House" on Pinterest. As with that house, the hand of a decorative mastermind appears in every detail at La Filanda. Luca Guadagnino took a break from his busy feature filmmaking career to take a stab at a prestige TV miniseries with the recently-ended “We Are Who We Are.”And it appears that the middling reviews of the HBO show didn’t scare him off from the idea of doing another, as a report claims that Guadagnino is set to take on the literary classic, “Brideshead Revisited,” as his next TV gig. What time of the day do they prefer? By Vanessa Lawrence. Fremantle sells Luca Guadagnino series; Wattpad, NL Film team for Muslim young adult romance; and All3Media sells AIDS crisis drama. So was born the Garden Room, a space more suited to a Luca Guadagnino film set than here among the battle-axe blocks of Sydney’s North Shore. Here, she reveals all about … “Here, everything important is inside.”, From the Director of ‘Call Me by Your Name,’ a New Project: A House. Eye of Dakota Johnson! Discover Luca Guadagnino's Biography, Age, Height, Physical Stats, Dating/Affairs, Family and career updates. At the Nymphenburg Porcelain Manufactory in Munich, Guadagnino and Olsen unearthed a disused French rose glaze to color a portion of their 303 pieces of china, some of which feature a pattern designed two centuries ago. “Even though the house is contemporary, it’s also meant to be a sensual place,” Guadagnino says. Luca Guadagnino likes houses. Gardening, astrology and men's fashion: groundbreaking film director Luca Guadagnino and Silvia Fendi in conversation The designer behind the Roman house … Movies. Nov 30, 2017 - De cette belle demeure des environs de Milan, le réalisateur Luca Guadagnino a fait le décor de son prochain film. I Am Love (Italian: Io sono l'amore) is a 2009 Italian romantic drama film directed by Luca Guadagnino, set in Milan around the year 2000. A few years prior he had “been flirting with the idea of becoming a gentleman of the countryside,” he told The New York Times. Villa Albergoni in Moscazzano near Crema dates back to the 16th-century and was built on the ruins of an earlier castle. Answers in hand — bright jewel tones, mornings, playing board games with their 7-year-old daughter, Margherita — the director began composing a storyboard in the form of a workbook, a thick volume that encompassed a minutely detailed inventory of the exemplary collection of 20th-century furniture that Marchetti had been amassing for years. Luca Guadagnino—the Italian movie director whose 2009’s I Am Love, starring Tilda Swinton, ... the house, which Guadagnino says “was emptied and … Luca Guadagnino talks about his love of film and the making of Call Me By Your Name. Biography of Luca Guadagnino (excerpt) Luca Guadagnino (born 10 August 1971) is an Italian film director. I see the light coming through the windows, and I … Inside, the couple sought a harmonious retreat. Luca Guadagnino has long dreamed of being an interior designer. Also learn how He earned most of networth at the age of 49 years old? Luca Guadagnino's First Interior Design Project is an Ochre Mansion on Lake Como (Because Of Course It Is) - Sight Unseen Pretty much every design person we know has been obsessed with filmmaker Luca Guadagnino since I Am Love, the 2009 movie shot on site at the Villa Necchi. Visconti di Modrone had to bring in carpets, a series of Japanese paintings for the walls, sofas in archival prints from the early 80s and an 80s television. Originally it was very bare and quite formal. “In cinema, you are an impostor, in a way, because you can always edit afterward and change the story. Connected by a hallway that runs the length of the house, there are three bedrooms — one each for parents, daughter and guests — along with a study, a library and Olsen’s boudoir. And far from being theatrical types, Marchetti and Olsen envisioned their life at La Filanda as one oriented toward family and domestic pleasures. Guadagnino, true to form, immortalised the trip on his iPhone and the resulting film is a lovely thing: part travelogue, part elegy, rattling around the director’s old village in Sicily. On the Cover: La Filanda, designed by Luca Guadagnino, is featured in. Image: Call me By Your Name/Sony Pictures. It could be argued that Guadagnino’s choice of Villa Necchi as the imposing temple of beauty in his 2009 masterpiece I Am Love was as important as his casting of Tilda Swinton. Professor Perlman’s office is a combination of existing pieces from the home, with items Visconti di Modrone also brought in. Actors: Jack Dylan Grazer To the left of the entry, there’s a pantry whose lacquered pistachio cabinetry is branded Studio Luca Guadagnino, the filmmaker’s new design firm, and is rendered, like so much else in the house, in the confectionary hues of Jordan almonds. Image: Call me By Your Name/Sony Pictures. Elio plays the piano, and so an early 1900s piano was brought in for him to play. Source of Wealth: Director: Net Worth 2020: $100,000 - $1M: Earnings in 2020: Pending: Yearly Salary: Under Review: House(s) He lives in Palermo, Sicily, Italy: Cars: There are no vehicles shown to the public: All net worths are calculated by applying a proprietary algorithm. Much of the film takes place on the grounds of the house. How do they see themselves in a room? Like Guadagnino himself, he wanted the interiors to show that the professor and his wife couldn’t quite afford the property. From the listing on House & Loft, it appears that the 15,000-square-foot property has eight bedrooms and seven bathrooms. I know that me telling you that you should listen to Call Me By Your Name and Suspiria director Luca Guadagnino might blow your minds, ... Road House (9) Rob Gronkowski (5) Rob Kazinsky (16) Rob Lowe (21) Rob Zombie (45) Robert Altman (27) Robert Eggers (55) Robert Pattinson (204) Robert Rodriguez (76) Robert Zemeckis (86) Rock Hudson (56) Rodrigo Santoro (84) Roger Ebert (120) … (Until as recently as the 1970s — when the industry migrated to China — silk remained the area’s most important commercial export.) Visconti di Modrone found the giant maps in an antique book shop in Verona and hung them to make the space look less austere. When it becomes Oliver’s bedroom, the single beds are pushed together as he is much taller than Elio. Beyond this is a kitchen with custom-paneled shelves in varying tones of yellow (also created by Guadagnino’s firm) alongside an enormous suspended lighting fixture created in 1933 by Gio Ponti — merely one example of Marchetti’s irresistible attraction to every imaginable form of artificial illumination. That was the question posed to me recently by Luca Guadagnino—acclaimed movie director of Call Me By Your Name and I Am Love—after a private screening of his chilling new thriller Suspiria, which opens in the United States on October 26. While it is tempting to think of the place as engineered with the taut economy of a yacht interior, the house more accurately evokes a puzzle, one whose interlocking pieces seamlessly, and seemingly inevitably, fit together. He hired his friend Violante Visconti di Modrone, who is an interior designer, but had never done set design before. And you are all invited.” Buy now at JB Hi-Fi You cannot do that with a house.”. He has collaborated a number of times with Tilda Swinton, on the films The Protagonists (1999), I Am Love (2010), A Bigger Splash (2015) and the upcoming Suspiria (2018), a … Three years ago, the interiors-obsessed Guadagnino, the director of Call Me by Your Name and I Am Love, founded a design firm, Studio Luca Guadagnino, and has worked on select projects like a Lake Como home for Yoox chairman Federico Marchetti and an Aesop store in Rome. When director, Luca Guadagnino saw the script, he already knew the perfect location. The house in the Italian countryside where most of the action in the Oscar-nominated film Call Me By Your Name takes place has hit the market. At the core of the house is an oak stairway resembling the interior of a chambered nautilus that links all three floors. The opulent villa from Luca Guadagnino’s Oscar-tipped film Call Me by Your Name has hit the market for €1.7m. A helipad-size marble table, custom built by Hermès, anchors the room. See more ideas about home interior design, house interior, interior. Guadagnino told Elle Decor, “We tell stories, and those stories must happen in the space. (With bespoke waxed-leather legs, it’s a marriage of Guadagnino’s passion for the handmade and the retailing mogul’s acquisitive appetites.). It was the building’s shoe-box shape that inspired Marchetti and Olsen to acquire it five years ago, after having spotted it on strolls from their nearby rental. “We felt it was more interesting having something beautiful inside that nobody knows,” says Federico Marchetti, 49, the Milan-based entrepreneur behind the Yoox Net-a-Porter online retail empire. Luca Guadagnino’s beautifully made debut TV drama is everything you might expect from the director of Call Me By Your Name, but if anything, it digs even deeper. … Guadagnino and Visconti di Modrone hired a landscape designer – Gaia Chaillet Giusti. When Luca Guadagnino asked Dana Thomas to write the script for his new Salvatore Ferragamo documentary, she wasn't sure she could do it. (“Finally,” she says, “I have more closet space than Federico.”) It is in these rooms that Guadagnino seems to pay frank homage to one of his greatest influences: Villa Necchi Campiglio, the magnificent Milanese manor designed in the 1930s by Piero Portaluppi for two heirs to a sewing machine fortune, in which “I Am Love” was filmed. It’s the latest ‘art-horror’ to confuse audiences Produced in 2018. Inside La Filanda, a spiral staircase designed by Luca Guadagnino covered in an ombré carpet by La Manufacture Cogolin.Credit...Henry Bourne. What Luca Guadagnino Is Reading, Watching and Thinking About in Lockdown. When director, Luca Guadagnino saw the script, he already knew the perfect location. Luca Guadagnino sul sequel di Suspiria che non si farà: "Il primo non ha avuto successo" Uscito nel 2018, Suspiria di Luca Guadagnino non ha ottenuto la giusta attenzione e questo, ovviamente, ha avuto le sue conseguenze su un sequel che il regista aveva preso in considerazione. Luca Guadagnino likes houses. Tilda Swinton plays the wife of a rich industrialist who has an affair with a chef. THOUGH SKILLED AT creating sumptuous movie sets, the director is neither a trained architect nor an interior designer. Throughout, cultivated restraint takes the place of ostentation. Luca Guadagnino is an Italian film director, screenwriter, and producer. Together, the designer and homeowners also plundered the archives of venerable European manufacturers. It was released on Blu-ray and DVD on March 13, 2018, with two bonus featurettes ("In Conversation with Armie Hammer, Timothée Chalamet, Michael Stuhlbarg & Luca Guadagnino" and "Snapshots of Italy: The Making of Call Me by Your Name"), an audio commentary track by Chalamet and Stuhlbarg, and the music video for "Mystery of Love". Some of the most poignant scenes take place in the entrance hall to the villa. Guadagnino discovered an abandoned Art Nouveau–era hotel in northern Italy and enlisted it to serve as the headquarters of the Markos Dance Academy—though its architectural stylings were altered, Weinberg told me, through the inspiration of several early modernist sources, primary among them architect Adolf Loos’s Goldman & Salatsch Building, a 1911 Vienna mixed-use structure now … Inside La Filanda, a spiral staircase designed by Luca Guadagnino covered in an ombré carpet by La Manufacture Cogolin. It is the first installment in Guadagnino's self-described Desire trilogy, preceding A Bigger Splash (2015) and Call Me by Your Name (2017). This is La Filanda (the Mill), the name a nod to the 9,600-square-foot building’s original 19th-century function as a silk-weaving factory. When director, Luca Guadagnino saw the script, he already knew the perfect location. The character must be a product of the behavior and interaction of the space. Seventeen-year-old Elio gives up his bedroom to Oliver when he arrives from the US. Anyone who watched Timothée Chalamet finger a blonde-haired peach, bathed in Italian light as its juices squeezed and spilled onto his chest in Luca Guadagnino’s Call Me By Your Name, knows instinctively that the director is a sensualist. Luca Guadagnino is a director, screenwriter and producer known for his visually arresting style and his affecting psychological portraits. They are elegant and effortless and chic and inviting. His credits include the Academy Award, Golden Globe and BAFTA-nominated I Am Love, A Bigger Splash, the Academy Award and BAFTA-nominated box office hit Call Me by Your Name and, most recently, the cult film Suspiria. Oct 7, 2018 - I can hardly contain my adoration for the sets in Luca Guadagnino films. Et, pour l’occasion, il a recréé de toutes pièces l’élégance intemporelle d’une maison de famille. https://www.nytimes.com/.../luca-guadagnino-interior-design-lake-como-house.html Throughout the film, eggs ooze, gazes linger, and tensions bubble against the backdrop of Crema’s twisting alleys and towering duomos. At Manescalchi, a linen purveyor favored by the Milanese haute bourgeoisie, Guadagnino found from dead stock a collection of pristine place mats and napkins with elaborately handworked fagoting details. Toe of Chloë Grace Moretz! A house, after all, is not a fiction. EXCLUSIVE: In the early 20th century, an impoverished teenage Italian cobbler sailed from Naples to America to seek a better life. Learn How rich is He in this year and how He spends money? It's like the timeless antiques have been in these rooms for generations - so long the characters take them for granted and living with them comfortably alongside more contemporary pieces- some high end, some worn and utilitarian. He told NYT, “I found it immediately beautiful, and a little bit sad, even.” The director considered buying it, but felt he couldn’t afford it and then when he read the script he immediately thought of the property. Marchetti and Olsen had long been friends with the director, whose densely atmospheric film sets are memorable for their layered, subtle details: a barely seen armoire full of linen in 2009’s “I Am Love;” an actual notarized land deed used instead of a facsimile for 2017’s “Call Me by Your Name.” Guadagnino often films his movies in aristocratic villas or Art Deco-era wonders little known outside of Italy — environments are as critical to his vision as actors or scripts. “I also had to convey the period, because the movie unfolds in 1983, and to get everything right in terms of the characters’ psychology.”. 2 of 12. Luca Guadagnino on first TV project We Are Who We Are The director of Call Me By Your Name may be promoting a TV show, but he’s thinking more about the state of … “Of all the great houses you could find on the lake, Federico and Kerry decided to go for this old factory,” Guadagnino says. “That’s my first job.”. Follow this to its end. Guadagnino had been house hunting in the small town of Crema in Lombardy and he came across Villa Albergoni, a disheveled 17th century estate. Luca Guadagnino took a break from his busy feature filmmaking career to take a stab at a prestige TV miniseries with the recently-ended “We Are Who We Are.”And it appears that the middling reviews of the HBO show didn’t scare him off from the idea of doing another, as a report claims that Guadagnino is set to take on the literary classic, “Brideshead Revisited,” as his next TV gig. After the subterranean bathing pavilion was completed, the house’s transformation picked up pace, Guadagnino filling the home with treasures accumulated by the couple as well as pieces he found for them. Armie Hammer plays Oliver, an American research assistant who spends the summer in Italy to assist a history professor and falls in love with his son, Elio (played by Chalamet).